The truth is, the NRA has been taken over by far-right-wing zealots, and over the past decade, they have played more politics than anything else. Consider the publication the NRA chose in which to level their attack on Wray: Gun Week. Its owner is Alan Gottlieb, one of the key players in the anti-conservation Wise Use Movement. Ron Arnold, widely believed to be an architect of Wise Use, is listed as a contributing writer. These people hold in contempt anyone who believes in real conservation. Why? I believe because real conservation stands in the way of allowing the rape and pillage of natural resources.
The NRA and the few magazines that have joined it are hurting hunters and anglers over the long haul. That’s because the future of hunting won’t be determined by gun laws as much is it will by a lack of access to quality hunting land — or lost habitat as a result of the efforts of the Wise Use Movement.
Pierre, South Dakota
- Mark Bailey on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mark Bailey on What I learned from 30 years with the Forest Service
- Tom McCarty on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area