Getting the answer would require a government investigation. The federal Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), which disbursed the money, says that details can’t be revealed even with a Freedom of Information Act request. The Klamath Forest Alliance has asked Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., and other members of Congress to conduct an investigation, but we have been repeatedly rebuffed.
It seems that the representatives who brought home the bacon are not interested in learning how it was spent. I suspect there are some big skeletons locked in the Basin’s NRCS closets.
- Lee Rimel on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Fred Swanson on Is tech ruining the wilderness?
- Rick Masters on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- W John Faust on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson