As environmental justice activists point out again and again, the word "environment" is defined differently depending on race, culture, social class and geography. To assert that environmental articles should be limited to land use or habitat or natural resource issues misses the point. HCN is a publication "for people who care about the West," and like it or not, the West includes people.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans