I appreciate HCN for in-depth journalism on natural environmental issues in the West. I think you’re spending money unwisely on color photos when it could be better spent on content. Black-and-white photos illustrate people, tattoos and F-16s adequately (especially when it’s a two-page spread as in the last two issues — you could have put information/words on those pages!).
I vote for more investigative reporting. Pay reporters like Paul Krza an additional $2,000 an issue for articles instead of using it for color photos, and maybe you can get back to good in-depth journalism. I fear you’re contributing to the "dumbing" and numbing of readers — providing pictures instead of content and instead of keeping the focus on informative journalism.
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?