October 3, 2005
Susan Ryan, a young archaeologist, has some unusual ideas about why the Anasazi left their homes in the Southwest, 700 years ago. Also in this issue: In the city of Albuquerque, underdog candidate Eric Griego, a critic of sprawl, challenges incumbent Mayor Marty Chavez, a pro-growth booster.
- Dale Lockwood on Mule deer in decline, crude oil spills and violence against federal staffers.
- G M Ferguson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Kathy Dimont on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Rich Schrader on How the West will feel groundwater shortages
- Rich Schrader on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson