September 19, 2005
With only a tiny share of the Colorado River available to it, Las Vegas decides to get the water it needs from elsewhere in the state – underneath the rural high-desert Basin and Range country. Also in this issue: The Park Service lands in hot water when Deputy Assistant Interior Secretary Paul Hoffman secretly rewrites the agency’s management manual, and the revision is leaked to the press.
- Christy Nielsen on I have a lot in common with the Bundys. Here’s what I’d like to say to them.
- Josh Zaffos on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition
- Dale Lockwood on Reckoning at Standing Rock
- David W Hamilton on What we’re reading about the Bundy trial in Oregon
- Clay Dusel on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit