Kevin McIlvoy, 174 pages, paperback $15: Graywolf Press, 2004.
This collection of short stories from a Las Cruces-based writer is published by the independent Graywolf Press. Kevin McIlvoy's stories are written from a variety of perspectives — from 11-year-old Chum telling the history of the state as he sees it, to a bartender who juggles feelings for two waitresses while coping with a magician who works his tricks at the bar.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane