Kevin McIlvoy, 174 pages, paperback $15: Graywolf Press, 2004.
This collection of short stories from a Las Cruces-based writer is published by the independent Graywolf Press. Kevin McIlvoy's stories are written from a variety of perspectives — from 11-year-old Chum telling the history of the state as he sees it, to a bartender who juggles feelings for two waitresses while coping with a magician who works his tricks at the bar.
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?