Kevin McIlvoy, 174 pages, paperback $15: Graywolf Press, 2004.
This collection of short stories from a Las Cruces-based writer is published by the independent Graywolf Press. Kevin McIlvoy's stories are written from a variety of perspectives — from 11-year-old Chum telling the history of the state as he sees it, to a bartender who juggles feelings for two waitresses while coping with a magician who works his tricks at the bar.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town