Kevin McIlvoy, 174 pages, paperback $15: Graywolf Press, 2004.
This collection of short stories from a Las Cruces-based writer is published by the independent Graywolf Press. Kevin McIlvoy's stories are written from a variety of perspectives — from 11-year-old Chum telling the history of the state as he sees it, to a bartender who juggles feelings for two waitresses while coping with a magician who works his tricks at the bar.
- Michael Welsh on Considering historical correctness in New Mexico
- Bob Laybourn on Considering historical correctness in New Mexico
- William R DeJager on Wolf pups, and the return of wild wonder
- Brad Bergstrom on Did Obama's Interior hobble the Endangered Species Act?
- Dwayne Meadows on Idaho’s sewer system is the Snake River