Lester R. Brown, 272 pages, hardcover $27.95, paperback $15.95: W.W. Norton, 2005.
Lester Brown, the environmental world’s leading prophet of doom, brings us his latest nonfiction disaster thriller. As world populations boom, farmers reach deeper and deeper underground for water; climate change is creating its own little form of hell on earth; and China threatens to wreak economic and political havoc as it turns to the world grain market to feed its billions. The hero that saves the day? Read the book to find out.
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West