Lester R. Brown, 272 pages, hardcover $27.95, paperback $15.95: W.W. Norton, 2005.
Lester Brown, the environmental world’s leading prophet of doom, brings us his latest nonfiction disaster thriller. As world populations boom, farmers reach deeper and deeper underground for water; climate change is creating its own little form of hell on earth; and China threatens to wreak economic and political havoc as it turns to the world grain market to feed its billions. The hero that saves the day? Read the book to find out.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town