June 13, 2005
The development boom in the West’s exurbs is draining public coffers and destroying the region’s last wide-open spaces. Also in this issue: A judge has thrown out the Bush administration’s salmon protection plan, setting the stage for dramatic changes to the federal hydropower system.
- Rod Farlee on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply
- Joe Cosentino on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Mark Bailey on Sometimes, the West must be protected from itself
- Spencer Kluesner on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Mark Rozman on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence