WAKE UP High Country News! How loudly does the land have to scream before you come to your senses? The Western public lands you so graciously sacrifice to the rancher only account for 2-to-3 percent of the annual forage of livestock. Pocket change. Get all cows off public lands permanently and watch 300 million acres undergo a miraculous recovery from the devastating ecological impacts of cattle and sheep.
The West cannot support livestock. I feel you are locked into some sort of moral (and economic) responsibility to preserving a backwards notion that the rancher is a natural part of the Western landscape. Wake up! I say again. No extractive industry should be subsidized at the expense of all that is wild. Any stand that leaves Bovinus atrocitus on the land is a deplorable one.
Silver City, New Mexico
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum