Hannah Hinchman, 176 pages, hardcover: $25.95.
W.W. Norton & Company, 2004.
This hand-lettered, hand-illustrated book tells of Hinchman's travels with her dog in western Montana. Her charming yet refreshingly unsentiminetal descriptions, sketches, and paintings illustrate the changing seasons, her encounters with ranchers, and sharp observations of everything from chipmunks to curlews. Reading the book is like peeking into the artistic journal of an observant and talented friend. See a few of Hinchman's illustrations in this issue's Photo Gallery.
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West