If anything holds promise and is deserving of research dollars, it’s photovoltaics. From a rooftop, they would have no additional impact on open spaces. They are expensive at the moment. But when I think of how many solar panels could be purchased for the price of a smart bomb, I just shake my head.
Americans are consuming enormous amounts of energy, and the trajectory is exponential. Most of the talk about solving energy problems revolves around how to get more per capita and more for an ever-increasing population. Our thinking has to change if we’re to have any chance at long-term sustainability.
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?