If you have to ask, "Who’s Hayduke?" this isn’t the book for you. This guide wanders from Zion National Park to Arches via the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Grand Staircase-Escalante and Glen Canyon. It’s full of good topographic maps (though the authors warn backpackers to bring their own), route descriptions, and even journal entries to tempt readers to put down the book, cancel the mail, and get out into the backcountry.
- Rich & Terry Fairbanks on Rural communities in the West need a fair shake
- on Jim Deacon, pioneering desert fish biologist, dies
- Larry Bullock on Ranch Diaries: A New Mexico cattle company is born
- Randy Piper on Bark beetle kill leads to more severe fires, right? Well, maybe
- Delaine Spilsbury on The water czar who reshaped Colorado River politics