Edited by Peter Gleick
320 pages, softcover $35.
Island Press, 2004.
The fourth installment of this annual report covers water issues that span the globe. Gleick — president of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security — and other water brainiacs contemplate climate change and water in California, urban water conservation, and Third World groundwater development, which offers farmers a path beyond subsistence, but poses huge management and sustainability challenges.
- Jim Bolen on Bears Ears: Correcting an off-base argument
- Mark Rozman on At Standing Rock, activists dig in on historic treaty land
- Dana Powers on At Standing Rock, activists dig in on historic treaty land
- Steve Snyder on What Obama can actually do about Standing Rock
- Dana Powers on What Obama can actually do about Standing Rock