I agree with Carl Pope of the Sierra Club that "environmentalism is a broad, diverse and robust movement" (HCN, 2/21/05: Where were the environmentalists when Libby needed them most?). It is also largely an underground movement, which, if you think about it, both literally and figuratively, is where it should start. Working within the system — as I have for most of my life — is hardly selling out on my principles: I’ve always felt that if you’re on the outside of the door, you have to move a lot to make even the smallest of difference on the hinge side. I have always chosen the hinge, where a proper leverage on the inside makes the door swing wider.
Mike Harding, Flight of Discovery
San Diego, California
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?