I agree with Carl Pope of the Sierra Club that "environmentalism is a broad, diverse and robust movement" (HCN, 2/21/05: Where were the environmentalists when Libby needed them most?). It is also largely an underground movement, which, if you think about it, both literally and figuratively, is where it should start. Working within the system — as I have for most of my life — is hardly selling out on my principles: I’ve always felt that if you’re on the outside of the door, you have to move a lot to make even the smallest of difference on the hinge side. I have always chosen the hinge, where a proper leverage on the inside makes the door swing wider.
Mike Harding, Flight of Discovery
San Diego, California
- David W Hamilton on Meet the new advocates for the West
- David W Hamilton on Judge strikes down BLM fracking rule
- David W Hamilton on Federal-lands ranching: A half-century of decline
- Josh Zaffos on Meet the new advocates for the West
- Mark Rozman on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply