Do the people of the West need to live with less water than they currently use? I believe most definitely yes. Will water managers and water consumers change their habits without a severe consequence hanging over their heads? I believe probably not. Do I want the current severe drought to get worse to teach them a lesson? That is like hoping that the tornado tears up someone’s home for daring to live in Tornado Alley, or that a tsunami washes thousands of people to their deaths for daring to live so close to the sea.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane