Do the people of the West need to live with less water than they currently use? I believe most definitely yes. Will water managers and water consumers change their habits without a severe consequence hanging over their heads? I believe probably not. Do I want the current severe drought to get worse to teach them a lesson? That is like hoping that the tornado tears up someone’s home for daring to live in Tornado Alley, or that a tsunami washes thousands of people to their deaths for daring to live so close to the sea.
- Rich & Terry Fairbanks on Rural communities in the West need a fair shake
- on Jim Deacon, pioneering desert fish biologist, dies
- Larry Bullock on Ranch Diaries: A New Mexico cattle company is born
- Randy Piper on Bark beetle kill leads to more severe fires, right? Well, maybe
- Delaine Spilsbury on The water czar who reshaped Colorado River politics