It’s gratifying to see a new generation of journalists take up the cause of truthfully reporting on Western issues with the same passion, energy and intelligence that led my Uncle Tom (Bell) to create HCN in his closet-like office on a Lander, Wyoming side street. He poured his soul — and a lot of money — into the paper and the ideas it brings into the light. Ed and Betsy Marston truly deserve the nation’s thanks for stewarding HCN into this new century, while Paul Larmer and his great staff are clearly loving what they do, and doing it very well indeed.
Matt Winters, editor and publisher Chinook Observer
Long Beach, Washington
- Rich & Terry Fairbanks on Rural communities in the West need a fair shake
- on Jim Deacon, pioneering desert fish biologist, dies
- Larry Bullock on Ranch Diaries: A New Mexico cattle company is born
- Randy Piper on Bark beetle kill leads to more severe fires, right? Well, maybe
- Delaine Spilsbury on The water czar who reshaped Colorado River politics