In fact, Newmont is being held to the highest standard ever applied by the BLM to a mining project. Concurrent reclamation will occur during mining to mitigate any documented impact from mining activity. Monitoring will occur throughout the life of this project and even after mining activity is completed to determine whether the models we used in our analysis reflect actual events. If our monitoring indicates that additional mitigation is required, we are prepared, and will have access to private funding sources to pay for these actions.
I am proud of the work the BLM employees perform to ensure that the public’s lands are managed in compliance with applicable laws and consistent with land-use plans. We take our jobs seriously and work hard to maintain the public’s trust. I am disappointed that HCN does not apply those same principles to reporting.
Bureau of Land Management
- Regina Johnson on Grass-fed beef can be good 365 days a year
- Charles Fox on Grass-fed beef can be good 365 days a year
- Rex Johnson Jr on How to pass a wilderness bill in 2014
- April Warwick on Sweeping new rule for Alaska's predator control
- David Lichtenstein on The paradox of the housing boom and bust