I agree with Clarren that planners and environmentalists did not listen to those people who were bearing the weight of their wonderful utopian view of how everyone else should live and view the world. My definition of an environmentalist is one who thinks the world should revolve around them, much as the monarchs of the past who looked over the serfs, scratching out a living, in search of the "perfect" world.
I am really glad Oregon’s land-use system has come to this extreme end, and I hope that those who become so passionate about the environment realize there are other people in the world besides themselves.
Douglas D. Sparks
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?