January 24, 2005
The study of tree rings opens a window into the West’s distant past, and warns us that the region’s future may be dangerously hot and dry. Also in this issue: As the Colorado River Basin enters its sixth year of drought, the seven states that rely on the river for water are forced to work together on a new plan for water use.
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock
- Steve Snyder on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report