To be candid, I agree with the plainly advertised politics of HCN, but not the current emotional, unbalanced presentation of the issues. I was disturbed further this week to see how you paternalistically discounted the comments of some of your "conservative readers." There are two sides to every issue, and anyone of your experience and intelligence knows that nothing good gets accomplished in the highly charged environment of the New West without paying respect to the voices of all the people who care about the West, not just the voices of people who care about it the way you think they should.
I hope you will consider T.S. Eliot’s warning, "The last temptation is the greatest treason: To do the right deed for the wrong reason." By encouraging people to react to the complex problems of the West, rather than to thoughtfully consider them, I think you are asking them to do the right thing for the wrong reason.
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?