June 21, 2004
On a 10-day walk through the northwestern New Mexico desert, the author follows an ancient road that leads him from silent Indian ruins into noisy, modern gas fields. Also in this issue: Land managers have been talking about letting more wildfires burn, but the recent blowup of the Peppin Fire near Capitan, N.M. – home of Smokey Bear – leads to renewed talk of aggressive fire suppression.
- Bob Macgregor on The fading grandeur of the Glen Canyon Dam
- Bob Macgregor on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition
- Sara Walsh on Getting over the ‘taboo’ in a gun-rights conversation
- Jim Bolen on Comb Ridge parcel sold to highest bidder
- Jim Bolen on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition