These new people (unlike most of the golden oldies like Rachel Carson, Aldo and Starker Leopold, Durward Allen, David Brower, Ding Darling, Bernard De Voto and many, many more) had long lists of grievances against the establishment and entitlement expectations for client pressure groups. We, the second-generation greens, were not to have civic peace or conservation of resources unless, first, there was economic democracy, justice, ethnic balance and an end to poverty, sexism, racism, hunger and cultural myopia.
The agendas of the sociologists are so vast they will sink conservation. From the green standpoint, it is more important to save the pie itself than to squabble over the size of the slice of pie each of us is to get.
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West
- Robb Cadwell on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation