A Newtonian vision
* turn over to the states most of the lands now in national parks, national forests, national wildlife refuges and wilderness areas (with the exception of crown jewels like Yellowstone);
* eliminate local zoning regulations on land use;
* abolish all federal energy conservation programs;
* eliminate the Department of Energy, Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Geological Survey, and Bureau of Mines;
* and charge people to enter the U.S. Capitol.
"This is a very stark statement about what the Newtonian revolution may be about," says Colorado Rep. David Skaggs, D. "It is marketism run rampant - if we can charge for it, let's do it." In Colorado, Skaggs says, the proposals could mean federal land that amounts to more than one-third of Colorado could be turned over to state government or sold to private interests.