February 16, 2004
A right-wing coup is under way in the nation’s courts, which George W. Bush is stacking with anti-environmental judges, and the impacts on Western conservation issues are not going to be pretty. Also in this issue: National Park Service wilderness coordinator Jim Walters resigns in frustration over the agency’s neglect of wilderness, after the superintendent of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks allows helicopters in wilderness areas.
- Paul Bratton on It’s time to end Custer worship
- Deb Dedon on A California Hotshot photographs his life fighting wildfires
- Deb Dedon on Rants from the Hill: Watching the desert flood
- Deb Dedon on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Michael/Teresa Newberry on The desert doesn’t need this “City”