The University of Colorado Natural Resources Law Center and the Colorado School of Mines are co-sponsoring a free one-day workshop on directional drilling for oil and gas in the Rocky Mountain region on Nov. 13 in Boulder. www.colorado.edu/law/centers/nrlc/events/workshop.htm
The Quivira Coalition will hold its third annual conference in Albuquerque, N.M., on Jan. 15-17. The topic will be “Ranching in Nature’s Image,” and the conference will feature speakers, workshops and a meeting of the Southwest Grassfed Livestock Alliance.
505-820-2544 The annual Great Backyard Bird Count, sponsored by the National Audubon Society and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, is coming. You can host the count in your backyard, Feb. 13-16, 2004.
- Ed Morrow on After years of drought and overuse, the San Luis Valley aquifer refills
- Jake Sigg on Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- L Strader on Trial by fire
- ivonne cassaigne on The tenuous fate of the Southwest’s last jaguars
- william glasgow on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans