The neo-Torquemada Attorney General John Ashcroft’s proposed Patriot Act II strips citizenship, allows secret arrests, and instigates a gag order in section 202 that obviates the Clean Air Act, which states that “ ... corporations that use potentially dangerous chemicals must prepare an analysis of the consequences of the release of such chemicals to surrounding communities.” Under Patriot II, such essential information would be restricted to government reading rooms in which copies could not be made and notes could not be taken. The reports in the reading rooms would not contain “such basic information as the identity or location of any facility or any information from which the identity or location of the facility could be deduced.”
Further, “... any whistleblowers among them will be charged with a criminal offense, even if their motivation was to protect the public from corporate wrongdoing or government neglect.” I’m getting all this from an article by Nat Hentoff in The Progressive (May 2003). Ashcroft is even trying to suspend the writ of habeas corpus (which dates back to the Magna Carta in 1215). What chance does our environment, our air, water, soil, flora and fauna in the West and Southwest have under such an assault?
The only answer I have personally is to keep on keeping on — to keep writing and calling congressmen, keep petitioning, keep trying. But the grief — the grief is real. Thanks to Wayne A. Gilbert for giving a name to and validating that grief.
Thoreau, New Mexico
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Melissa McDowell on Ranch Diaries: How to have a clear head and rested heart
- Harold Johnson on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- Mark Rozman on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses