June 9, 2003
A life-threatening stroke in Idaho’s Craters of the Moon National Monument puts the author’s fight for wilderness into perspective. Also in this issue: Frustrated by Utah’s anti-wilderness moves, the national outdoor-equipment industry threatens to move its twice-yearly giant Outdoor Retailer show out of Salt Lake City.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans