March 23, 1992
HCN editor Ed Marston says: The dozen or so articles in this issue came out of two visits to the high desert country of southeastern Oregon in summer and fall 1991. I went there convinced that, perhaps over the medium term, public-land ranching was doomed."
- Nathan Johnson on Political sparring over the Land and Water Conservation Fund
- jan slater on An audience for old Indians
- Robb Cadwell on Political sparring over the Land and Water Conservation Fund
- Thomas Bliss on Raccoonboy’s guide to urban wilds
- Kevin Bates on A wanderer’s guide to Western public lands