Based on a novel by Native American writer and poet Adrian Louise, Skins centers on two brothers who live on the Pine Ridge Sioux Reservation in South Dakota. Lauded by film critics, who say the story breaks the stereotypes of Indian alcoholics, Skins reflects the realities of contemporary reservation life.
The movie opened in theaters nationwide on Oct. 11. Eyre's next movie, Skinwalkers, based on Tony Hillerman's novel about two Navajo detectives, opens on the PBS Mystery series on Nov. 24. For more information, visit the official Skins homepage at www.firstlookpictures.com/films/skins/index.html.
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy