These alarming statistics are included in a report released by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, a private nonprofit organization that provides support and services for government agency whistle-blowers. PEER annually compiles incidents of violence toward and harassment of employees of federal land-management agencies. "We do it because the agencies don't," says Jeff Ruch, PEER executive director.
The PEER Web site features the violence reports as well as profiles of environmental ethics cases, report cards of agencies' performance, and results from a survey of state and federal resource professionals. To learn more, call 202/265-7337 or visit www.peer.org.
- Dave Cichan on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Keith Barefoot on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Greg Graves on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Beth & George Broyles on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans