These alarming statistics are included in a report released by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, a private nonprofit organization that provides support and services for government agency whistle-blowers. PEER annually compiles incidents of violence toward and harassment of employees of federal land-management agencies. "We do it because the agencies don't," says Jeff Ruch, PEER executive director.
The PEER Web site features the violence reports as well as profiles of environmental ethics cases, report cards of agencies' performance, and results from a survey of state and federal resource professionals. To learn more, call 202/265-7337 or visit www.peer.org.
- Mike Sennett on Go ahead, control my guns
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock