These alarming statistics are included in a report released by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, a private nonprofit organization that provides support and services for government agency whistle-blowers. PEER annually compiles incidents of violence toward and harassment of employees of federal land-management agencies. "We do it because the agencies don't," says Jeff Ruch, PEER executive director.
The PEER Web site features the violence reports as well as profiles of environmental ethics cases, report cards of agencies' performance, and results from a survey of state and federal resource professionals. To learn more, call 202/265-7337 or visit www.peer.org.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town