These alarming statistics are included in a report released by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, a private nonprofit organization that provides support and services for government agency whistle-blowers. PEER annually compiles incidents of violence toward and harassment of employees of federal land-management agencies. "We do it because the agencies don't," says Jeff Ruch, PEER executive director.
The PEER Web site features the violence reports as well as profiles of environmental ethics cases, report cards of agencies' performance, and results from a survey of state and federal resource professionals. To learn more, call 202/265-7337 or visit www.peer.org.
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?