I just want to thank you for Jeff Golden's piece about finding the middle ground in the forest management debate (HCN, 9/16/02: A modest forest proposal for President Bush). We need more sensible, thoughtful people who understand the situation to reflect and contribute their thinking on how we can preserve wilderness, reduce huge wildfires and protect our watersheds.
We learned this summer in Colorado that what we have been doing isn't enough, and neither is letting commercial logging interests carve up what roadless areas remain to harvest old-growth timber under the guise of improving forest health. Thanks for his contribution.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day