Now, you can see what these cutting-edge scientists, artists and activists have to say at the annual Bioneers Conference in San Rafael, Calif., which features an impressive list of workshops and speakers. Listen to life stories from economist and documentary photographer Sebastiao Salgado, and thoughts on the importance of preserving marine life by biologist Sylvia Earle. Among the hundreds of workshops offered are a hands-on lesson in creating a "backyard ecosystem" that provides food, income and beauty; a session on correcting the ecological and social ills of the War on Drugs; and an anthropological analysis of the scientific relevance of shamanistic rituals.
Bioneers is from Oct. 18-20 in San Rafael, Calif. For more details, visit www.bioneers.org, or call 505/986-0366.
- Regina Johnson on Grass-fed beef can be good 365 days a year
- Charles Fox on Grass-fed beef can be good 365 days a year
- Rex Johnson Jr on How to pass a wilderness bill in 2014
- April Warwick on Sweeping new rule for Alaska's predator control
- David Lichtenstein on The paradox of the housing boom and bust