Now, you can see what these cutting-edge scientists, artists and activists have to say at the annual Bioneers Conference in San Rafael, Calif., which features an impressive list of workshops and speakers. Listen to life stories from economist and documentary photographer Sebastiao Salgado, and thoughts on the importance of preserving marine life by biologist Sylvia Earle. Among the hundreds of workshops offered are a hands-on lesson in creating a "backyard ecosystem" that provides food, income and beauty; a session on correcting the ecological and social ills of the War on Drugs; and an anthropological analysis of the scientific relevance of shamanistic rituals.
Bioneers is from Oct. 18-20 in San Rafael, Calif. For more details, visit www.bioneers.org, or call 505/986-0366.
- Greg D. Lind on Stop the rock-stacking: a call for an end to cairns
- Paul V. Battaglia on A new report says we're draining our aquifers faster than ever
- Josh Zaffos on Renewable energy on tribal lands stalls out
- MIKE CHIROPOLOS on Renewable energy on tribal lands stalls out
- Dana Lang on The real Washington vampire story