Regarding the article about habitat protection taking a hit under the Bush administration (HCN, 4/15/02: Habitat protection takes a critical hit), may I say about the Sierra Club's Bill Arthur quote: It takes one to know one.
It was the Clinton administration that waited for environmentalists to file lawsuits and then settled the cases "rather than defend the regulations ... 'It's easier to cut a quiet deal in the courtroom.' " (said Mr. Arthur).
The Sierra Club and other environmentalist groups certainly set an easy pattern for others to follow.
- on Jim Deacon, pioneering desert fish biologist, dies
- Larry Bullock on Ranch Diaries: A New Mexico cattle company is born
- Randy Piper on Bark beetle kill leads to more severe fires, right? Well, maybe
- Delaine Spilsbury on The water czar who reshaped Colorado River politics
- Buck Drew on Chainsaw diplomacy