Regarding the article about habitat protection taking a hit under the Bush administration (HCN, 4/15/02: Habitat protection takes a critical hit), may I say about the Sierra Club's Bill Arthur quote: It takes one to know one.
It was the Clinton administration that waited for environmentalists to file lawsuits and then settled the cases "rather than defend the regulations ... 'It's easier to cut a quiet deal in the courtroom.' " (said Mr. Arthur).
The Sierra Club and other environmentalist groups certainly set an easy pattern for others to follow.
- Eric Haggstrom on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Glen Colton on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Glen Colton on New documentary offers a sharp look at the West’s water crisis
- Jerry Nolan on Nuclear power divides California’s environmentalists
- Mike Sennett on Latest: Officials open a criminal investigation of EPA’s role in the Animas river spill