With contracts that insulate it from low energy prices, the Great Plains coal gasification plant in Beulah, N.D., endures as a relic of the federal government's 1970s syn-fuels fascination. Download entire issue to view this article: http://www.hcn.org/issues/21.5/download-entire-issue
- Tom Schweich on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Adam Hannuksela on Tracking grazing’s impacts on bugs
- Carol Bartlett on Idaho and BLM flout conservation laws for fallen officers
- John W Stephens on Animas River spill: only the latest in 150 years of pollution
- Mark Bailey on Why is bad science protecting the Lower Snake River dams?