July 31, 1989
On June 6, 75 agents from a joint FBI-EPA task force raided the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant near Denver.
On July 12, the Utah Board of State Lands and Forestry voted unanimously to approve a draft "marketing plan" to sell off 116,000 acres of state-owned-lands within Arches National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, Dinosaur National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and the Navajo and Goshute Indian reservations.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town