Allen Best ("The mythic West and the billionaire," HCN, 2/26/01: The mythic West and the billionaire) is right on target. Artists who've romanticized the West, often with corporate subsidies, have tended to blind us to the dark side of our history. The paintings are beautiful but isn't art, and all the arts, supposed to help us see ourselves, warts and all? On Cape Cod, clear across to the left coast, pretty pictures continue to rule the day, while views of our toxic civilization get pushed aside in the race for dollars.
Thanks, HCN - and Allen Best - for the needed reminder.
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West
- Robb Cadwell on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation