Allen Best ("The mythic West and the billionaire," HCN, 2/26/01: The mythic West and the billionaire) is right on target. Artists who've romanticized the West, often with corporate subsidies, have tended to blind us to the dark side of our history. The paintings are beautiful but isn't art, and all the arts, supposed to help us see ourselves, warts and all? On Cape Cod, clear across to the left coast, pretty pictures continue to rule the day, while views of our toxic civilization get pushed aside in the race for dollars.
Thanks, HCN - and Allen Best - for the needed reminder.
- Jim Scarborough on Rural counties dealing with loss of fed dollars
- Len Newton on Another Yellowstone River oil spill
- Wendy Beye on Another Yellowstone River oil spill
- Harvey H Reading on Wyoming grazing dispute threatens bighorn sheep
- irene gilbert on Critical mule deer research relies on fundraising