Allen Best ("The mythic West and the billionaire," HCN, 2/26/01: The mythic West and the billionaire) is right on target. Artists who've romanticized the West, often with corporate subsidies, have tended to blind us to the dark side of our history. The paintings are beautiful but isn't art, and all the arts, supposed to help us see ourselves, warts and all? On Cape Cod, clear across to the left coast, pretty pictures continue to rule the day, while views of our toxic civilization get pushed aside in the race for dollars.
Thanks, HCN - and Allen Best - for the needed reminder.
- Mark Solomon on Rural counties to lose the most from defunded lands programs
- Sarah Tory on Rural counties to lose the most from defunded lands programs
- Heather Brenner on Rural counties to lose the most from defunded lands programs
- Louis F Good on Navajo election shakes up Grand Canyon development plans
- Warren Anderson on Canadian water for California’s drought?