April 25, 1988
An in-depth issue on The Nature Conservancy and Earth First!
The Nature Conservancy is an anomaly in the environmental movement. It is apolitical, silent almost to the point of secrecy, friendly with corporate America, and run more like a successful business than a non-profit organization.
Earth First! was born in the spring of 1980. Between tequila and beers and camping beneath the stars in the desert near a tiny Mexican border town, four men dedicated to the preservation of biological diversity hatched the notion of a group that was part Sierra Club, part Hell's Angels, part Yippie.
- Steve W Bremner on A progress report on the Colorado River pulse
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Krista Langlois on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Rachelle Huddleston-Lorton on What I learned from 30 years with the Forest Service
- David Nix on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area