December 19, 1988
The Department of Energy -- a mainstay of the West's economy -- is in serious trouble.
Plagued by mistakes, accidents and incompetence, the Department of Energy's nuclear weapons production system is grinding to a halt, and the West, alarmed by the pollution in its midst, has begun to revolt.
INEL employs more than 10,000 workers, or 2.5 percent of Idaho's work force. Only the state government itself employs more people. But it comes with a legacy of pollution.
- Jane Shafroth on Rants from the Hill: The aliens that make Nevada home
- Irene S on No direction home
- Richard Crow on Ranch Diaries: Why cowboy life is intense
- Richard Crow on Mass shootings in Western states, by the numbers
- Mary Mcallister on Wildland restoration is like marriage: An imperfect work in progress