November 21, 1988
Analysis of 1988 Election results from 13 Western states.
The mining industry trumped a citizens' action group on initiatives that would have forced tougher reclamation and water protection standards and raised state taxes on gold mined by heap leaching or in open pits.
- Kate Schimel on Hope fades for Klamath River accords
- Cherilyn Eagar on The rise of the Sagebrush Sheriffs
- Robert Waddell on How do we define climate pollution's cost to society?
- Steve McCarthy on Graphic: The hidden connections of the Sagebrush Insurgency
- Stu Williams on How a huge Arizona mining deal was passed — and could be revoked