Thumbs up on the article "Whose Fault?" in your Aug. 22 issue. It seems that more and more we look toward someone to blame for anything that befalls us.
As a skiing and river guide and a former wilderness ranger, I often see people who assume the "invisible someone" out there wouldn't let them get into a situation that might be more than they are capable of.
Mr. Turville's question, "Why did a kid pack three pairs of designer jeans for a canyon like this?" echoes the lack of preparation and awareness of many who go into the backcountry. Hooray for a very good article and hooray for the Park Service for its stand on this.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane