Thumbs up on the article "Whose Fault?" in your Aug. 22 issue. It seems that more and more we look toward someone to blame for anything that befalls us.
As a skiing and river guide and a former wilderness ranger, I often see people who assume the "invisible someone" out there wouldn't let them get into a situation that might be more than they are capable of.
Mr. Turville's question, "Why did a kid pack three pairs of designer jeans for a canyon like this?" echoes the lack of preparation and awareness of many who go into the backcountry. Hooray for a very good article and hooray for the Park Service for its stand on this.
- Larry Glickfeld on How many Westerners does the Affordable Care Act cover?
- David W Hamilton on As Trump takes power, the House targets regulations
- Dale Lockwood on Five reasons to be optimistic about climate change
- Ray Nelson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Jim Bolen on As Trump takes power, the House targets regulations