Thumbs up on the article "Whose Fault?" in your Aug. 22 issue. It seems that more and more we look toward someone to blame for anything that befalls us.
As a skiing and river guide and a former wilderness ranger, I often see people who assume the "invisible someone" out there wouldn't let them get into a situation that might be more than they are capable of.
Mr. Turville's question, "Why did a kid pack three pairs of designer jeans for a canyon like this?" echoes the lack of preparation and awareness of many who go into the backcountry. Hooray for a very good article and hooray for the Park Service for its stand on this.
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West