Thumbs up on the article "Whose Fault?" in your Aug. 22 issue. It seems that more and more we look toward someone to blame for anything that befalls us.
As a skiing and river guide and a former wilderness ranger, I often see people who assume the "invisible someone" out there wouldn't let them get into a situation that might be more than they are capable of.
Mr. Turville's question, "Why did a kid pack three pairs of designer jeans for a canyon like this?" echoes the lack of preparation and awareness of many who go into the backcountry. Hooray for a very good article and hooray for the Park Service for its stand on this.
- Rod Farlee on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply
- Joe Cosentino on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Mark Bailey on Sometimes, the West must be protected from itself
- Spencer Kluesner on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Mark Rozman on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence