Just a short comment on Susan Tixier's letter (HCN, 8/28/00: Wilderness needs strong advocates). It's deceptively easy to airily dismiss the entire body politic from the wilderness debate by saying, "It's about the land, not the people." Many Utah activists have embraced this view, with the predictable result that no new wilderness areas have been designated here for more than 15 years.
Maybe it's time to pursue some constructive compromises rather than continue clinging to the "maximum acres' mantra.
Richard M. Warnick
Salt Lake City, Utah
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply