Just a short comment on Susan Tixier's letter (HCN, 8/28/00: Wilderness needs strong advocates). It's deceptively easy to airily dismiss the entire body politic from the wilderness debate by saying, "It's about the land, not the people." Many Utah activists have embraced this view, with the predictable result that no new wilderness areas have been designated here for more than 15 years.
Maybe it's time to pursue some constructive compromises rather than continue clinging to the "maximum acres' mantra.
Richard M. Warnick
Salt Lake City, Utah
- William Brooks on Go ahead, control my guns
- Gus Dizerega on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Joe Cosentino on Evicted by climate change
- Harold Johnson on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Mark Rozman on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply