Just a short comment on Susan Tixier's letter (HCN, 8/28/00: Wilderness needs strong advocates). It's deceptively easy to airily dismiss the entire body politic from the wilderness debate by saying, "It's about the land, not the people." Many Utah activists have embraced this view, with the predictable result that no new wilderness areas have been designated here for more than 15 years.
Maybe it's time to pursue some constructive compromises rather than continue clinging to the "maximum acres' mantra.
Richard M. Warnick
Salt Lake City, Utah
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day