Just a short comment on Susan Tixier's letter (HCN, 8/28/00: Wilderness needs strong advocates). It's deceptively easy to airily dismiss the entire body politic from the wilderness debate by saying, "It's about the land, not the people." Many Utah activists have embraced this view, with the predictable result that no new wilderness areas have been designated here for more than 15 years.
Maybe it's time to pursue some constructive compromises rather than continue clinging to the "maximum acres' mantra.
Richard M. Warnick
Salt Lake City, Utah
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West
- Robb Cadwell on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation