November 24, 1986
People in the West voted as Nevadans, North Dakotans and Oregonians, not as participants in a national plebiscite. See election results from 10 states and the Navajo Nation.
Among Western Republicans, McClure is the biggest loser from the Senate shift. For six years he has kept Forest Service timber and roadbuilding budgets high and Bureau of Land Management grazing fees low.
- Charles Fox on Grass-fed beef can be good 365 days a year
- Rex Johnson Jr on How to pass a wilderness bill in 2014
- April Warwick on Sweeping new rule for Alaska's predator control
- David Lichtenstein on The paradox of the housing boom and bust
- Quin Ourada on A doubter’s approach to the bagging dilemma