We immediately found two errors on the front page of your article "Unleashing the Snake" (HCN, 12/20/99). Lower Granite Dam is not in Idaho - it is in Washington (see your map on page 11). And coho salmon are not also called king - they are called silver (the king is also called chinook). We learned this from our (grand)father, who during his working life designed some of the dams on the Columbia and Snake and during retirement fished for salmon from his home in Sequim, Wash.
Estes Park, Colorado
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy