May 13, 1985
Taking advantage of the 1872 Mining Law and the exemption in the Wilderness Act, U.S. Borax and the American Smelting and Refining Company want to mine in Montana's Cabinet Mountains.
The recent decline in Idaho's wood-products industry helps explain why the industry and the Idaho congressional delegation led by Republican Sen. James McClure have fought so fiercely against additional wilderness.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans