May 13, 1985
Taking advantage of the 1872 Mining Law and the exemption in the Wilderness Act, U.S. Borax and the American Smelting and Refining Company want to mine in Montana's Cabinet Mountains.
The recent decline in Idaho's wood-products industry helps explain why the industry and the Idaho congressional delegation led by Republican Sen. James McClure have fought so fiercely against additional wilderness.
- Josh Zaffos on Renewable energy on tribal lands stalls out
- MIKE CHIROPOLOS on Renewable energy on tribal lands stalls out
- Dana Lang on The real Washington vampire story
- Dana Lang on The Quileute Reservation copes with tourists brought by "Twilight"
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho