You owe Jon Marvel an apology (HCN, 8/2/99). It was irresponsible of you to have published an unattributed quotation comparing him to a war criminal. As an editor, I consider it a libelous statement.
Jon Marvel is motivated by love of the West - the land and the people, including future generations - in his fine environmental conservation work. You correctly point this out later in your article.
I am a member of Idaho Watersheds Project because I believe in the goals of preserving land and water in the West from overgrazing and because of the smart and imaginative, caring, humorous, calm, and persevering ways Jon Marvel has gone about achieving the goals of environmental conservation.
Ithaca, New York
The writer is a senior manuscript editor for Cornell University Press.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day