I can definitely do without dumb poorly drawn cartoons by Jim Stiles (HCN, 5/24/99). First, I'm sure the Park Service rangers do not take it upon themselves to raise fees, and they do need more money because there are more people using our facilities. Second, they may "pack" guns because, let's face it, there are a heck of a lot of near-psychos out there that think all of this is their personal property and they deeply resent any controls. Third, they wear those "silly" hats so tourists can spot them.
Hooray for park rangers; I think we need more of them!
Randolph F. Edwards
Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town