There is nothing "weird" about Death Valley (HCN, 5/24/99). What is weird is High Country News' attitude about any expanse of land that does not have a bunch of trees on it. Maybe what we need is a publication called Low Country News, which will have a positive attitude regarding the deserts and the same positive attitude for the federal agency which manages most of them.
San Diego, California
- Candace Oathout on No, federal land transfers are not in the Constitution
- Stephen Hall on Rants from the Hill: Reno is a desert city with a river heart
- Kent Udell on No, federal land transfers are not in the Constitution
- The Taylors on How a huge Arizona mining deal was passed — and could be revoked
- Stu Williams on How a huge Arizona mining deal was passed — and could be revoked