March 1, 1999
David Brower tells us all environmental victories are temporary and all defeats permanent. This special issue tests that proposition, with feature articles on environmentalists seeking consensus on how to restore to the Coconino National Forest near Flagstaff, Ariz., to health after a huge forest fire, and an effort in southeastern Oregon to bring together environmentalists, ranchers and BLM staffers to find a way to restore the badly overgrazed landscape.
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West
- Robb Cadwell on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation