March 1, 1999
David Brower tells us all environmental victories are temporary and all defeats permanent. This special issue tests that proposition, with feature articles on environmentalists seeking consensus on how to restore to the Coconino National Forest near Flagstaff, Ariz., to health after a huge forest fire, and an effort in southeastern Oregon to bring together environmentalists, ranchers and BLM staffers to find a way to restore the badly overgrazed landscape.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day