March 1, 1999
David Brower tells us all environmental victories are temporary and all defeats permanent. This special issue tests that proposition, with feature articles on environmentalists seeking consensus on how to restore to the Coconino National Forest near Flagstaff, Ariz., to health after a huge forest fire, and an effort in southeastern Oregon to bring together environmentalists, ranchers and BLM staffers to find a way to restore the badly overgrazed landscape.
- Regina Johnson on Rep. Rob Bishop is chipping away at Theodore Roosevelt's legacy
- Andy Grosland on Sugar Pine Mine, the other standoff
- Andy Grosland on I have a lot in common with the Bundys. Here's what I'd like to say to them.
- Melissa McDowell on I have a lot in common with the Bundys. Here's what I'd like to say to them.
- Richard Reinaker on No, federal land transfers are not in the Constitution